Jet Ski Advice is a helpful website and may earn affiliate commissions on some pages of this site. More info.

4 Best Jet Skis for Fishing in 2021

I’ve seen a massive uptake in the popularity of fishing jet skis in the last 7 years. They have gone from relatively unknown to being quite mainstream.

It’s little wonder too. Boats just cost too much money in my opinion and unlike a fishing boat, a jet ski can be used for multiple purposes such as adventuring and tow sports.

The most popular fishing jet skis are:

1. 2021 Sea-Doo Fish Pro

Naturally, I’ll kick this list off with a jet ski that’s absolutely designed for fishing. One that sees guys proudly showing off their catches just about every day in Facebook groups around the world. Most owners are pretty happy with the design characteristics, especially with the wider hull that allows you to stand up quite easily.

Sea-Doo created the Fish Pro a few years ago after seeing the massive rise in existing owners retro-fitting their personal watercraft with a cooler and rocket launchers to hold fishing rods. We’ve come along way with technology but in the past, such modifications were cumbersome, caused damaged to the bodywork and often voided the warranty. The Fish Pro very much changed all of this and I’m glad that this model has had a huge uptick in global sales.

2. Yamaha VX Deluxe

If you don’t want to spend all that money and you don’t have a desire to be skirting along at 60-knots, then I’d go for Yamaha’s VX Deluxe. This jet ski is a recreational model with a rear swim platform that’s just big enough to fit a cooler and some rod holders.

Unlike the rest of the VX range which all have a cruiser seat, you can sit on the VX Deluxe seat both ways because it’s relatively flat. Considering that most guys fish off the rear of their jet ski, this makes this one a wise choice. The relatively cheap price-point means that you can fit this all out the way you want and still have change left over for fuel rather than spending up on the Fish Pro. I’d personally love to see Yamaha come out with their own unique fishing jet ski, but for now, at least, this is their best option around town.

3. Sea-Doo GTI/GTR 230

If you’re looking for a jet ski which is more performance/cruiser orientated, then this would be my pick. These are perfect if you’re wanting a jet ski to use 80% of the time for cruising around and towing tubes, while using it for fishing the remaining 20% of the time.

You’ll pay around $5,000 less for this model and even after paying for aftermarket fitment of a cooler and racks, you’ll still be saving plenty of money. Its engine is more beefier (read: supercharged) than the VX Deluxe as well as having more deck space at the rear.

4. Yamaha EX Deluxe

The cheapest fishing jet ski that money can buy is the Yamaha EX, though the EX Deluxe would be better suited as it comes with a reboarding step. These models are more popular with rental fleets given their bare-bones price. If you wanted a jet ski instead of a cheap boat in order to go fishing on weekends and aren’t concerned at all about performance then this is a good choice.

Now – a word on safety. Because these are recreational-lite jet skis, they aren’t the best for standing up and throw lines into the water. You won’t necessarily tip over if you stand up and lean to the side (much the same way in standing up in a canoe) but it’s certainly easier to capsize an EX than their big brothers, the VX series. If your budget permits, I’d certainly choose the VX Deluxe over this model.

Getting Started

So I’ve now shown you 4 great jet skis which are perfect for outfitting for fishing in the rivers, lakes or even calm oceans. Did you know that I’ve also written some related guides? That’s what Jet Ski Advice is all about – the content!

  1. How do you make your first trip a safe one? Then read my guide about heading out there for an adventure safely: 👉 How To Go Jet Ski Fishing
  2. What accessories can you buy which makes your trip much more enjoyable? Well, I’ve also created a guide for that: 🤙 Best Jet Ski Fishing Accessories

With that in mind, I’m hooking up the trailer in 5 minutes and heading for the boat ramp. Yes, I’m off for another adventure.

See you out there!

Share This!

Joshua Smith - Editor of

As the editor, I started this resource to share my knowledge of jet ski ownership globally. When I’m not out there riding, I’m engaging with industry trends and eagerly awaiting the development of electric jet skis.

12 Reasons Why Your Jet Ski Won’t Start

It’s a scary thought when your jet ski won’t start and you’re worried about the expensive repair bill at the dealership, or the thought of being stranded. Through this guide, I’ll be helping you diagnose the core problems with jet

Read More is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a way for websites to earn advertising revenues by advertising and linking to